Kakanang Buranaamnuay, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Senior Researcher Level 2
|Ph.D. (Theriogenology), Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 2009
Field of Research: Animal sperm preservation and evaluation of sperm qualityResearch summary:
As half of almost every life in mammals is generated from a spermatozoon, it is interesting to conduct research on this cell. “Sperm cryopreservation”, one of the interesting topics, means long-term storage of male gametes at sub-zero temperatures. Many factors influence the quality of post-thaw spermatozoa and therefore the success of sperm cryopreservation such as freezing media, cryoprotectants, freezing and storage temperatures as well as storage time. These factors have been studied and/or reported, as original research, brief communication and review article, by Dr. Kakanang Buranaamnuay.
Buranaamnuay K. Effect of different permeable cryoprotectants on the quality of cat epididymal spermatozoa. CryoLetters 2020. 41(4): 237-244.
Buranaamnuay K. Comparison of different methods for sperm vitality assessment in frozen-thawed Holstein bull semen. Thai J Vet Med 2019. 49(3): 249-255.
Buranaamnuay K. Cryopreservation and storage of cat epididymal sperm using ‒75°C freezer vs liquid nitrogen. Anim Reprod Sci 2018. 191: 56-63
Satitmanwiwat S, Promthep K, Buranaamnuay K, Mahasawangkul S, Saikhun K. Lipid and protein oxidation levels in spermatozoa and seminal plasma of Asian Elephants (Elephas maximus) and their relationship with semen parameters. Reprod Dom Anim 2017.52: 283-288.
Buranaamnuay K, Sangsuwan P, Changsangfa C, Faisaikarm T, Kaeoket K. Influence of discontinuous PureSperm® and OptiPrepTM gradient centrifugations on bovine sperm quality and the sex ratio of in vitro produced embryos. Chiang Mai J Sci 2015.42(3): 637-649.
1. *Buranaamnuay, K. Sperm-TALP: an alternative extender for retrieving and diluting epididymal sperm in the domestic cat. Reprod Dom Anim. 2013. 48: 912-917.
2. *Buranaamnuay, K., Mahasawangkul, S. and Saikhun K. The in vitro quality of frozen-thawed Asian elephant (Elephas maximus) spermatozoa in semen supplemented with Equex STM paste and oxytocin during and after cryopreservation. Reprod Biol. 2013. 13: 169-171.
3. Wongkaweewit, K., Prommachart, P., Raksasub, R., Buranaamnuay, K., Techakumphu, M., De Rensis, F. and *Tummaruk, P. Effect of the administration of GnRH or hCG on time of ovulation and the onset of estrus-to-ovulation interval in sows in Thailand. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2012. 44: 467-470.
4. *Buranaamnuay, K., Grossfeld, R., Struckmann, C. and Rath, D. Influence of cryoprotectants glycerol and amides, combined with antioxidants on quality of frozen-thawed boar sperm. Anim Reprod Sci. 2011. 127: 56-61.
5. *Buranaamnuay, K., Tummaruk, P. and Techakumphu, M. Intra-uterine insemination with low numbers of frozen-thawed boar spermatozoa in spontaneous and induced ovulating sows under field conditions. Livestock Science 2010. 131: 115-118.
6. *Buranaamnuay, K., Wongtawan, T, Masuwattana, S, Tummaruk, P. and Techakumphu, M. Intra-uterine and deep intra-uterine insemination using cryopreserved boar semen in spontaneously-ovulating sows. Thai J Vet Med. 2010. 40 (2): 215-219.
7. Tretipskul, C., Buranaamnuay, K., Koonjaenak, S., Tummaruk, P. and *Techakumphu, M. The use of computer-assisted sperm analysis (CASA) for discriminating a series of motility pattern of frozen-thawed boar semen. Thai J Vet Med. 2010. 40 (1): 25-30.
8. *Buranaamnuay, K., Tummaruk, P., Singlor, J., Rodriguez-Martinez, H. and Techakumphu, M. Effects of straw volume and Equex-STM® on boar semen quality after cryopreservation. Reprod Dom Anim. 2009. 44: 69-73.
9. Tejerina, F., Buranaamnuay, K., Saravia, F., Wallgren, M. and *Rodriguez-Martinez, H. Assessment of motility of ejaculated, liquid-stored boar spermatozoa using computerized instruments. Theriogenology 2008. 69: 1129-1138.
10. *Buranaamnuay, K., Singlor, J., Tummaruk, P. and Techakumphu, M. The establishment of boar semen cryopreservation in Thailand: post-thaw semen quality, sperm concentration and variation among ejaculates. Thai J Agri Sci. 2008. 41(3-4): 135-141.